Sunday, December 18, 2011

Back to the Bigger Dolls

Several months ago I signed up for the Maker's Mark website (I think I got something free when I did). I've never tried their Kentucky Bourban but they often send me free things and recently I received a sweater from them, apparently to put on my whisky bottle. It was too big for Pollyanna Sunshine but it just fit Lorraine!

"I don't think I like being a walking advertisement for liquor! But it is warm."
Over a week ago at work I saw an older, hard plastic doll in our store. She was in a hatbox with three smaller hard plastic dolls and was priced at $29.99. I was surprised no one showed any interest in her (she was kept behind the jewelry counter with the Special Things That Cost More) and I only had one person ask to look at her while I was on duty. Then last Friday when I went in to work, I was handed a Christmas card with a Bonus Check in it (and I really hadn't thought I would get a bonus since I hadn't been there a whole year yet), so I decided to get her. And because she was marked as a toy and not a collectible, I got her for half price! And because my HLP was returning a pair of shoes (they turned out to be two right feet and the left ones couldn't be found), we got a store credit and so really the dolls didn't cost me anything at all.


I'm pretty sure she's a Sweet Sue, just like my other Sweet Sue (I think I named her Penny), only in much better condition. I couldn't find any markings on her (Penny has AC on the back of her neck, which stands for American Character). But many Sweet Sues weren't marked. I have named her Sally.

Sally and Penny liked each other right away.
Sally wants a cowgirl outfit too.


Sally's dress looks like an original 1950s dress. She has matching panties. I have to find her some shoes because she's barefoot. Penny is wearing a skirt and vest of suede and a gingham blouse. I made these for her last week. HLP, pulling a sticker off a banana, thought she needed some sort of badge on her vest so he added the Del Monte sticker. Penny's face needs repainting. I got her from eBay at a bargain price, because her face had been messed up. I removed the bad paint but haven't yet tried repainting her.

Her eBay picture.
Here is a close-up of her face when I got her.

That's not lipstick on her face!
I had to use acetone to get the paint off and that's why her face looks kind of dull. But it's a great improvement over what she did look like.

3 comments:

  1. Audra, What size is your newer Sweet Sue? She is really pretty. Great find!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is 14 inches tall. At first I thought "Oh, I don't want another doll like that. Some doll collector will buy her."

    Well, some doll collector did--me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the sweater, who cares if it advertises.

    The new dolls are fabulous, I love the look of the older dolls. Really like the cowgirl outfit, it suits Penny. You did a good job of removing the bad paint job n her face.

    ReplyDelete